Vanquish the Night Vanquish the Night

This is bladdy awesome! I'm such a sucker for non 4/4 time sigs :D

If you ever want me to record some guitar for one of your tracks in the future, I'd be more than happy to!

bassfiddlejones responds:

Crab battle! Hey man, your track rocked. It was an honor to be up against you in this. It would be sick to collab sometime, I will have to hit you up man! I think we could make some pretty awesome stuff happen :O

Son of Beach (NGADM '15) Son of Beach (NGADM '15)

Thanks for the big up bro!

Personally I think this track is filthy as fook and I'll be happy to go out of the competition against this and not vs some whimsical orchestral piece ;)

As bitter said, your writing creates a form of atmosphere that is individualistic to yourself. it's so dark and dungeonesque, almost mystical if you would and it creates some wonderful melodies!

Also, absolutely beautiful guitar playing, if that means anything coming from another guitarist :)

JDawg00100 responds:

That definitely means a lot coming from you, thanks!

Bloody Tears (Robsoundtrack) Bloody Tears (Robsoundtrack)

Robs back! Killer cover, your sound is getting so much better!

RobSoundtrack responds:

Latest of late replies; thanks dude!
It's slow going for music here though unfortunately.
Tell me whats new with you? It's been forev

Deep Dish Deep Dish

Well shit. What a fucking brutally clean tone? Have you got passive pickups in you guitar? Honestly it sounds like that gain is on like 10% haha, keep it up man this is some goooooooood shit! :)

Kor-Rune responds:

They're active EMGs but I should really replace the battery haha. And WOW you have good ears. I just check my gain and it's at 15% for both amps, with the tube drive pedal at 30%. Thank you so much piratecrab <3

A Girl's Champion A Girl's Champion

This is killer! The mixing levels are actually really good considering you had a short time to finish this and the theme works wonderfully!

Can't believe you almost didn't submit this. You cheeky thing! :)

Bosa responds:

Yes sometimes I can make mistakes lol, but thank you for the kind words! I really did the best I could do, so I am glad that there is at least some fruit from my labor.

mixing/mastering mixing/mastering

Yes! The whole premise behind Hertz is how I mix! At the end of the day it's down to how you want your mix to sound, but for clarity this is perfect. Every instrument pulls through cleanly and the harmonies shine through with no worries. I reckon you could make yer snare and kick a tad louder though, apart from that you're onto a winner here dude!

jaysummers759885 responds:

woohoo!! I finally think I have this down! lol Thanks Pirate!

~J

Automation Automation

Dunno why your score is so fucking low because this quality work. I love all the harmonies throughout, I see what you mean by countering each other haha. Dunno why but it sounds really sinister hahaha. Nice work dude!

Step responds:

Sweet, thanks man! At 4.43/5.00, the score isn't THAT low haha. This track was doing really well earlier, with something like a 4.80/5.00, but 0-bombers will be 0-bombers in the end.

Great to hear from you. Thanks for reviewing :3.

GM - Dragon Of The South GM - Dragon Of The South

Hey dude!

I ain't a judge for round 2, but I figured I'd stop by and say this track is fucking awesome. You've really outdone it with the melodies here and I can see you've took my advice with switching things up! Production is sweet, melodies rock, guitar playing is killer.

NICE ONE MUDDAFUCKA!

(Ps Thanks for being a fan of my music haha)

InYourDreams responds:

OH NOOO PIRATES!

:D... thanx dood!! I'm glad u like it. Of course I took your advise man... u r fucking awesome! Everybody here in this contest is so freaking talented... This is making my life harder than it should, man... lol
Naah, I'm actually loving it. It's making me try harder and learn a lot of stuff and a lot of new people aswell. I'll try to keep it this way... my next submission is gonna be really interesting :P... I hope it works out the way I'm planing it.

Ps: don't mention it, bro... u r a great guitarrist. I envy you... that's why I'm gonna find you and eat you to get your powers ... Kirby style!!... MUAHAHAHA... beware O_O

Fisherman's Fantasy Fisherman's Fantasy

Your NGADM Round 1 review
Well you had an easy run through to the next round didn't you ya lucky guy ;) Regardless, this piece from the beginning is beautiful! That piano intro and the harmonies and melodies are GORGEOUS. You have beautiful control over the velocity of your notes and apply power where it is required, yet keep it calm where necessary! The key change you placed at 1:37 hit hard on the shiver scale! It went from being a fairly sad and lonely piece to a sudden change in mood, like a complete shock. Your piano sound is absolutely beautiful as well and it's either well recorded or you've got one hell of a VST. BLADDY EXCELLENT!

However, I will whole heartedly say that the moment came in, I feel like it personally took away the power the first part of the song contained. Being a metal head myself I was instantly picking up nuances in the production which really put me back on the score.

The drums I feel don't sit forward enough in the mix, the guitars sound like a VST and I find this kind of sound really fake and lowers the quality of a metal song. This is kind of a personal'ish opinion due to the fact I've produced Metal for roughly 4 years but it had to be mentioned sadly. The bass however sits well in the mix, VST or real regardless and you should keep this tone where possible.

However, your lyrics are BEAUTIFUL and definitely deep. Reading through them (even as little as there are) gives you much understanding even though everybody interprets them in their own way so I LOVE 'em. The composition itself is awesome as well and there's great potential for a wicked sounding Metal track here and your arpeggios with the guitar sit puuuuurfectly.

Now I honestly think (Even though as you said yin/yang) the 2 songs should either be separated into separate songs, or there should've been a subtle build between the two tracks because the abrupt change shocks you from the emotions you feel from the first half. For example, drums fading in to give a sense of change or an ever increasing velocity on a violin.

Apart from that for what they are, great work (Especially that first piece omfg jizz) and I can't wait to hear more work!

SourJovis responds:

Thanks for the review. Very kind and helpful. Unfortunately I don't own an actual piano. The piano is the default piano of the nnxt sampler in Reason. So not a real piano, but technically not a VST. The samples aren't bad, but I did a lot of processing and tweaking on it though to get this sound. The way you play it also makes a difference, and it helps I used a sustain pedal. That makes a huge difference.
The guitars are the weakest link I agree. Especially when you know how a good guitar can sound. Someone offered to play live guitars, but in the end he didn't have enough time. These are samples from a clean telecaster, that I put a lot of effects on. It took forever to get this sound, but it's far from perfect. I don't know if it's me, the samples, the effects or if it's just impossible to make samples sound as good as a real guitar.
What do you mean by the drums don't sit forward enough in the mix? Someone else thought they were too pounding. Too much reverb? Other effects? The panning? Did other instruments drown the rums out?
The bass is also a sample pack from a clean bass, that I added effects to. I think a good bass sound from samples is easier to get than a guitar sound.
I'm glad you took time to read the lyrics and that you liked them. I was very unsure about them.
The two parts do sound very different in terms of style. Maybe the best thing to do is make them separate tracks but have them in one project. I had a game in mind that I'm currently working on with other people. I thought the beginning could be for the title screen, the second halve for a boss battle of action cinematic.

Utopia - NGADM '13 Entry Utopia - NGADM '13 Entry

Your NGADM round 1 review
As I don't generally work with Cinematic work, yours and TheBenjerman's tracks were difficult to judge. However I'll try and review this as best as possible.

First and foremost, you have a such a soft and soothing melody from the start, that brings a feeling of something coming to and end or a feeling of great acomplishment. However, at 1:03, this suddenly changes to something a little more dramatic. I must say it was a totally unexpected change but it defnitely brought a great variation to the track. Your usage of notes throughout the strong resolve lovely amongst the chord choices and I can see exactly what kind of piece you were working with here. I especially picked up on that cheeky glissando at 2:12, HOW CUTE IS THAT. Lovely little bit of work!

Now the majority of the problems I picked up have already been mentioned by the guys who have already reviewed this track so there's no need to go over them again! At 2:08 when you bring the piano in, the speed of the notes wasn't necessarily the porlbme for me but the choice of instrument. I don't feel a piano fitted in well at this part where I feel a lone string instrument would have held a much more subtle tone and personality against the piano. Again it feels a little repetitive and I will quite happily repeat that an extra layer of something new would have gave your track much more power where you intended it to be. Possibly an atmospheric fill in the background or a choir as jones said at 2:53, it just felt a tad lacking in that aspect.

Overall though, this was a great piece of work and I hope to see more from you soon!